The Eco Drive Concept is all about more fuel efficient and smarter driving, making use of the advances in vehicle technology and Eco tyres to save fuel, reduce noise, air pollution and enhance road safety. Eco driving can result in long term savings of 5 to 15% and comes with the bonus of less stress and higher comfort for drivers and passengers.
The Simple Rules of Eco Driving
1. Maintain a steady speed and drive smoothly in the highest possible gear at low RPM.
2. Anticipate Road Flow. Read the road ahead and anticipate the traffic flow so you can optimise your options to balance speed fluctuations in the traffic flow, allowing you to drive at a steady and constant speed. The idea is to avoid heavy braking and acceleration arising from following other vehicles too closely.
3. Check Tyre Pressures. The best new tyres in the world are no use if they are not inflated correctly. Check tyre pressures at least once a month and always before high speed driving. Low tyre pressures waste fuel, dramatically reduce tyre life and are a significant safety hazard too. And you can further increase your fuel savings and help our environment by switching to Eco Tyres
4. Avoid Aerodynamic Drag and Unnecessary Weight. Roof Racks and items carried on them cause extra fuel burn. So remove the luggage and roof rack (when practical) when they are not being used. Try not to use your car as a storage locker! Check the boot and inside the passenger cabin and remove all unnecessary items.
5. Air conditioning can increase fuel consumption by 10 to 12% so switch it off when it is not needed.
Ok, most of us are not going to instantly derive the full benefits of the Eco Drive Concept but the benefits will accrue if you can make it part of your daily life and routine.